Saint Elias Antiochian Orthodox Church grew out of humble beginnings on the South Side of New Castle. It started in 1913 with a collection of Syrian immigrants who desired to gather for worship and to support one another. Although there is no concrete evidence that Saint Raphael of Brooklyn helped to found the parish of Saint Elias, the fact that a major rail line ran through the city gives at least the potential that the great saint and evangelizer of the Arabic-speaking immigrants in the US was present in some way. Eventually the community grew to the point that needed a church building, which was established on Reynolds Street on the South Side in the 1930s.
In 1969, the church moved to their current location, 915 Lynn Street, just off of Cascade Street on New Castle’s east side. The church building and hall are located on a nice, quiet cul-de-sac, surrounded by wonderful neighbors and some woods.
The church building provides the space, but the great strength of the parish are its people. Saint Elias is a multi-ethnic, English-speaking community with a great drive for learning and an equally great desire to serve. Worship is at the center of parish life, but the response to worship is a call to make disciples of the whole world, in various and diverse manners.